Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Twenty and I be tired

It's been a long day.

I'm back now, at home, uploading this thing that I wrote on my phone.

I did revise the poem a little, but not a lot.

bell hooks is an experience (see below) that I have yet to fully process. She raises in me a swirling series of conflicting emotions and reactions (I write this in a spirit of radical openness) -- some of those feelings are positive and some are negative. I'm left thinking that I need to further understand what she means when she says the word "love."

Parker Palmer was sweet and loving and just the kind of dad I wish I had.

Anyway, here it is:

So I'm in the Walter Theater on campus, it's about 6:30 pm, and the energy in here is already rising in anticipation of the upcoming conversation between bell hooks and Parker Palmer--

I'm tapping this out on my phone. Apparently we can't blog on our phones yet. Google: get on that.

I remembered out in the hallway that I had yet to write a poem for today. That's because I've been tied up all day at Lawrence University with a management training seminar (taking it, folks, even though I only manage one eminently manageable person who actually manages me). It's good to be a student again because I suffer all the interest, boredom and resentment of any student in a general education course she's not sure is entirely relevant to her.

Instead of writing to a prompt today, I'm going to write a poem for/about bell hooks.

*

being bell hooks

to be sharp
to be chiseled down to what's essential
to wake with the Buddha and Parker
to say I don't care what they think of me
and mean it
to be sassy and talk about sex
on stage when I'm over sixty
to inhabit my body and skin unapologetically
to flirt with whoever I want  
and call it flirting

to say no
unapologetically
and mean it

to travel with ideas and words
to point out injustice
to say white patriarchal capitalist misogynist machine
and mean some of the sea of faces
facing me

to speak of love
with some impatience and frustration
rubbing it into my knees
to call my father a patriarchal terrorist
to tell my stories
of a terrifying childhood
without saying sorry
to live alone and like it

to teach with love and fire
and a stern goddess stare
out over a sea of young hungry faces
who sometimes need a short answer

to be the woman
who gives it

2 comments:

  1. It sure was an interesting talk, although I feel that Palmer shone more than bell hooks in the end. From what I heard about her, she left me... puzzled, I guess. Don't know if she was having a bad day or not, but somehow she didn't have the energy I was hoping she'd give. [...] oh, lightbulb moment: I too have a poem to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those lightbulb moments amazing/annoying?

      Delete