Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Five! Feeling fabulous and productive today

The sun is shining here in Green Bay and De Pere, folks, though the temperature on my way in was under 30. I'll take what I can get.

I've written myself a "to do" list and knocked everything off of it already. Damn. There's nothing that makes me feel more self-satisfied than a good "to do" list with a bunch of lines through all the items. (Ruffles knuckles on chest and smirks at invisible camera.)  Not sure if this is going to make a poem writing chore easier or harder...

Also, I'm diffusing pine and eucalyptus into the room, both of which are supposed to enhance brain power.

And I've got Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent god, standing guard over my desk, thanks to my friend Luis and his recent trip to the Yucatan:


Perhaps this busy bee feeling is NOT the melancholic light despair one needs to create ART.

Today's prompt:  Writer's Digest Poem a Day Prompts (5)  I have two choices: Write an experienced poem OR write an inexperienced poem.

*

Experienced Poem

This poem is able to work a room
without saying a word
moving with a panther's grace
between stationary admirers 

This poem wears the highest
fucking heels 
and still sways with the delicacy
of a breeze
dancing
to its own inner music

This poem wears seamed stockings 
and pencil skirts
expensive black lace bustieres
under transparent white shirts

This poem grows its silky red hair long
past its tiny waist 

This poem can sing 
and growl 
in key
and its breath smells of
sandlewood 

This poem stays up very late and 
still rises before you
disappearing from your bedroom
like mist

This poem wears perfume 
crushed from
gardenias
tuberoses
and its own sweet spit

This poem can call you
out of a deep sleep
at the stroke of midnight
when you are most alone
and thus entirely
open

but this poem is experienced
and so it
never will



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that poem is goooood. I like the unexpected turn in the end: femme fatale becoming wise woman, like a poem that knows better than to do too much.

    Also, nice statue. Makes me want to fall back in mythologies from Latin America. One more thing to add to my un-ending list of things to do when I miraculously find some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I think I want to be this poem.

    ReplyDelete