Sunday, April 24, 2016

24 seems mature but it's really the same old silliness

Today's weather is making me want to hunker down on the couch with a blanket and a good book, maybe curl up with the dog for a snooze.

Yesterday had me out on the bike, riding until my back/butt seized up. And then we had a little party full of friends to celebrate an impending birth (very exciting), which involved eating a lot of snacks and drinking a bit too much wine.

I began the day with yoga, which was nice, even though it was hard to get my seized muscles going and to break through the sugar haze I've created for myself. Then I treated myself to a big breakfast, a soaking bath, and now I'm clean as a whistle and listening to Prince while I tap this out. Am I recording a bunch of mundane details? You bet.

Today's prompt: http://poetryprompts.tumblr.com/ -- Write a poem without using the letter E.

Hm. This challenge seems pretty hard, seeing as this sentence alone uses a buttload of Es. This will be a short poem.

*

Zen Moment

Sitting with dog,
writing and
avoiding rain,

fists of tulips
plumping up
from dirt and sod,

husband shaking popcorn
two rooms away --
sifting thick hot oil

into gold air
to lift my gray
lamp gloom.

How can I contain
this calm, this still wait
in words?

How can I grasp
contrary thoughts --
flight and rich ground,

spring infusing
brain and body.
Unfurling,

uncurling,
world out and
out

and also
just this couch,
this warm animal,

our lungs cycling
in and out,
making us

now air,
now nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment