Wednesday, April 27, 2016

27

It's sunny today!  I should be outside frolicking in the sunshine, but instead I'm in my office with the lights on, ugh florescence, tapping this out.

Thankfully, I've eaten most of the dark chocolate in my desk, so it's not tempting me. (My pants are too tight.)

Today's poetry prompt: http://poetryprompts.tumblr.com/post/143381248700/you-are-not-exactly

*

You are not wise: a poem to myself

You are not wise, exactly,
but you have a somewhat pleasing way
of stating the obvious.

People come to you for advice
which you are happy to give.
After collecting advice for years,

it's a relief to give it away.
You like to imagine that you're a
good listener

but admit that it's hard
to keep still
long enough to hear

the actual words.
Lately, you've decided that you
have gained a certain perspective

that allows you to stop
giving a shit
and so think of yourself

as immune
to the tides
of anger and insult

that sweep your colleagues
into tirades
with every shift of the moon.

My friend, you are not wise.
You confuse distraction
with maturity,

age with experience.
Inside you,
even at this minute,

the old tides rise
and the black winds
begin to howl.




No comments:

Post a Comment