Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Poem 12: alliteration and assonance

The prompt today calls us to "write a poem that explicitly incorporates alliteration (the use of repeated consonant sounds) and assonance (the use of repeated vowel sounds). This doesn’t mean necessarily limiting yourself to a few consonants or vowels, although it could. Even relatively restrained alliteration and assonance can help tighten a poem, with the sounds reinforcing the sense."

My schedule today is a bit crazy -- no clear blocks on my calendar. So I'm having to squeeze poetry in like mortar between the bricks.

*

Busyness bothers me,

brick by brick filling the shallow space between here and there, now and then. I can't breathe because I seethe with expectations and responsibilities, coulds and shoulds and pleasewouldyous, while daffodils and jonquils drill up from suddenly loosened soil, bursting from bulbs, shuddering free in a sunny wind. Hunched into a winter jacket, fists in my pockets, I pass them by, traveling the same path day after day, repeating chores like mindless mantras.

Oh to be untethered, to drift down unfrozen roads along the river's gleam, while hawks and pelicans fly over me in elegant figure eights!

No comments:

Post a Comment