Saturday, April 1, 2017

April 1 = first day of National/Global Poetry Month, and a poem a day!

This year, I'm going to follow the optional prompts supplied by http://www.napowrimo.net/, unless I find myself so stymied that I have to punt.

Today's prompt reads: "write a Kay-Ryan-esque poem: short, tight lines, rhymes interwoven throughout, maybe an animal or two, and, if you can manage to stuff it in, a sharp little philosophical conclusion."

Yeah, and now monkeys will fly out of my butt.

*

Spring has sprung

and neighbors explode
outdoors, forced
into crisp air
from insulated
bungalows
soggy with snow/rain,

the dogs snuffling
melted leaves and bones
grown lucid with
waiting.

Green shoots
sting up from mud
like tentative fingers
from sagging graves.

We sway in
simultaneous
motion,
waves lapping
the crushed sands
of suburban shores.

I am reminded
of the earth's
relentless turning,
how it
moves away
and then toward
an inhuman sun,

and life
stuns me
with that sun's
infinite liquid.

1 comment:

  1. I like all the movement, surging: exploding, snuffling, stinging, swaying. I especially like "sting up from the mud" and "life stuns me." How you frame the whole in the context of the earth's turning.

    ReplyDelete