Saturday, April 29, 2017

Poem 29: freewrite +

Here's the napowrimo challenge for the day:  "take one of your favorite poems and find a very specific, concrete noun in it. For example, if your favorite poem is this verse of Emily Dickinson’s, you might choose the word “stones” or “spectre.” After you’ve chosen your word, put the original poem away and spend five minutes free-writing associations – other nouns, adjectives, etc. Then use your original word and the results of your free-writing as the building blocks for a new poem."

*

These kinds of assignments are always tough. What's my favorite poem?  I have many. I think I'll take this one, though, from W H Auden, which was my favorite when I was 22 (for a while): "Musee des Beaux Artes."  I'm going to concentrate on "white legs."

*

White Legs

When everyone worshipped
the tan

I had skin white as paper,
thin as

the altitude of our city,
and the boys I wanted

to like me
laughed,

said
I looked like a ghost,

glow in the dark.
Wearing that skin,

I knew
I was somehow

invisible
or extra visible

walking down
Mexico City streets,

lying in a bathing suit
on our balcony

under the eyes
of construction workers

pouring concrete
on the half finished house

on the street above me.
I gleamed

like a star,
slathered

with baby oil.
The sun

dug into me,
seared me

a deep, radiating
red.

At school,
crackling

with shame,
Roy's death

(the nova
melanoma)

like a seed
in my teenage brain,

I bore
the hot weight

as I would
any other curse.

"Hey," Scott said,
and my heart

leapt,
"you look really

ugly like that."
And his words

melted
into my cooked skin

like another
white fire.





No comments:

Post a Comment