Thursday, March 17, 2016

Reading Angela Carter

Thanks, first of all, to Sam K. for bringing my attention back to Angela Carter.  (Here's the story she assigned us to read, if you're interested: "The Lady of the House of Love".)

I was first introduced to Carter in graduate school, when I took a 20th Century Brit Lit course and we read through her collection of short stories, The Bloody Chamber, which this story comes from. I remember clearly how much I liked (in theory?) her retelling of Bluebeard and her story devoted to Lizzie Borden.  Angela Carter's style is lush, overstated, even baroque: she reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe, building phrase upon phrase over the gothic ruins of a horror house.  And "The Lady of the House of Love" doesn't disappoint (or depart from) this model -- it's soaked with gothic flourishes, with rotting wood and spider webs, with Tarot cards and eerie bloated beauty -- plus, it's about a vampire, which should draw me in.

I'm a fan, that is, of monster stories, and of fairy tales. I like the way that horror shows us what we fear and loathe paired with what we most desire; the discomfort that such reading or viewing arouses in us feels, physically, like forbidden desire ... because it is forbidden desire, according to most literary and social/psychological theorists. Our disgust = inverted lust.

Once upon a time, I liked the literary flourishes that Victorian prudery built up around these base longings. Looking back, I could read Poe's swirling sentences as evidence of his adolescent (stunted? arrested?) sexuality, as nascent (shuddering) horniness (for lack of a blunter term); I could assign over-writing as a symptom of perverse "binding," and suggest that the (young? arrested?) writer wraps language around and around the bloated rose he's avoiding.

The older I get, the further away from that time in my life when sexuality, the sex act, both fascinated and repelled me, the more I avoid such linguistic crenellations.

I have no ending for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment